4 Health Issues that Could be Caused by your Home

There are so many things out there that can cause health issues but one of the most surprising things that could be the cause of your sneezing or other symptoms is your house. Your house contains many things that could negatively affect your health like a buildup of toxins, some dangerous gases, and pesticides among a variety of other things that could potentially be harmful to you. If you have any of these in your house then the longer you’re in your house in that environment, the more exposure you have to them and the more likely you are to develop any health problems associated with them. If you’re not sure what issues can be caused by your house then you won’t be able to keep an eye out for any problems so we’ve found the 4 most common health issues that could be caused by your home. 

 

Asthma

One common housing issue that can lead to some serious health issues is when a house has roof issues and there is a leak. If a leak is roofing then it can create toxic mold and this produces mycotoxins which can cause asthma. If you’re having this problem then you should consider getting a roofing contractor CT as they’re well known for being experts in the field and this is an issue that you should try and find early to avoid any potential harm. They will also be able to let you know if you need an entirely new roof, most roofs need to be changed every 25 to 30 years. As well as being linked to causing asthma in adults who were previously healthy, this can also cause severe lung issues in the vulnerable groups, for example, children and the elderly. 

 

Lung Cancer

There are several things in your house that can cause lung cancer so it’s important you’re keeping an eye out for or avoiding all of these things. The most common thing in your house that could potentially lead to lung cancer is if you smoke in your home. Tobacco contains many harmful chemicals and is one of the leading causes of lung cancer, even if you don’t smoke but you’re exposed to other people’s smoke in your home then you are also at risk. Radon is the other main thing that can cause lung cancer in your home, it is odorless so it is important to make sure you frequently conduct radon tests.  

 

Lead Poisoning

Back in the 1970s and earlier many of the homes that were being built had lead paint used on them, at the time it was unknown that this would cause health issues in the future but as time has passed it has been realized that it is dangerous. Lead poisoning from your home mainly affects children and even now there are still at least 900,000 children who suffer from lead poisoning every year. If you’re concerned that your child may be suffering from lead poisoning then you should have a blood test to check if their lead levels are normal. 

 

Cancer

Another thing that houses were built within and before the 1970s is asbestos. Just like the lead paint, it was unknown at the time how harmful this would turn out to be so it was used as insulation. If you’ve only come into a bit of contact with asbestos then you’ll likely be fine but if you have had a lot of exposure to it increases your risk of developing cancer. If you have asbestos in your house you need to get it removed. 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *